Friday, July 21, 2006

Help! I need a Writer's Resume

When faced with the challenge of creating my own personal writer's resume, I panicked a little. In fact, I probably panicked a lot.


Sure, I have a regular resume. In fact, I have two. One for any administrative positions I apply for, because I have experience as an Office Manager and one for a teaching position, as I was a preschool teacher for over ten years of my life.


But my current dilemma was as a freelance writer. I'm not looking for a "day job" but I am looking for more writing jobs or possibly a position in the writing or publishing business.


If you're a freelancer, chances are that you

(a) work from home, and

(b) your employment history (current or former) may have little relationship to your writing skills.


So what do you do about that?


When you know you have the skills to handle a regular writing or editorial position, it becomes a challenge to prove it. So how do you convince an employer?


In a typical freelance writing situation, you will want to consider developing a "skills" resume instead.


A Skills resume is a perfectly acceptable alternative to the chronological resume, enabling you to focus on the skills and experience that are directly relevant to the job for which you're applying.


Next entry...getting started.



Related Articles:


Writer's Resume


Help! I Need a Writer's Resume


Beginning a Writers Resume Part One


Beginning a Writers Resume Part Two

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>